As featured in Cycling Weekly (15.9.16), “Ride with …” feature.
Welcome to the website of Porto-Velo, a cycling club based in the Portobello area of Edinburgh
The aims of Porto-Velo are to:
- promote cycling for fitness, for fun – and for families
- encourage and develop cyclists of all ages, and at all levels
- organise regular and varied rides for adults, plus family excursions during the summer months.
“Fitness” rides leave the bandstand at the east end of the Prom at 8 am (Mar-Oct), 9 am (Nov-Feb) every Sunday and return by lunchtime. Distances are 60 or so miles in the summer (occasionally longer), 50 or so in the winter.
Once a month, the fitness ride is combined with a leisure ride, starting at the same time. The leisure ride option, aimed more at newer or less experienced cyclists, involves a more moderate pace and a lower mileage. Both rides begin together, so that people have a chance to choose which ride suits them better.
Each year, we try to organise at least one “century ride” (100-mile fitness ride), and there’s also our annual “weekender” where we visit a new area and explore unfamiliar roads.
With both fitness and leisure rides, routes vary and mostly stick to quieter roads; there is always a cafe stop. Each ride is led by an experienced cyclist who manages the pace to ensure no-one gets left behind.
During the summer months, we organise occasional family rides, aimed primarily at parents and children, on quiet roads or off-road tracks.
We meet up on the last Wednesday or Thursday of every month, at 8.30 pm, in a local pub. Everyone’s welcome to join us, whether you’ve ridden with us before or just want to find out more.
We have also organised bike maintenance classes and film nights, and contributed to community events.
For more info about Porto-Velo, our aims and activities, you can:
- read our F.A.Q.s page, or check the Calendar page for details of upcoming events
- like us on facebook (portoveloclub)
- follow us on twitter @porto_velo (please note the underscore)
- e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- read about us in the Portobello Reporter
- come and meet us on one of our social evenings